[SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Nancy Leveson leveson.nancy8 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 09:35:59 CET 2014

I don't think that anyone is implying that the safety case "replaces some
form of regulation". But it implies a particular form of regulation,
usually performance-based rather than prescriptive. Thus ARP 4751 in
aviation and MIL-STD-882 in defense, are not safety case regimes because
there are specific procedures that must be followed to be certified. The
applicant does not get to determine what type of argument they make.

Nancy

Email: leveson at mit.edu