[SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 17:13:49 CET 2014

Peter,

As a non-expert I am persuaded by Nancy's arguments.

> A. To me, a safety case is some joined-up set of documents which purport to demonstrate that a

You are describing what a safety case should be.  However, I can write
any document I like and call it a "Safety Case".

The thrust of Nancy's argument, as I understand it, is that
sufficiently expert reviewers who have the time to review documents
are likely to be available (the count of people vs. oil rigs
in UK and US was very interesting).

If company management are willing to cut corners, and write shoddy
safety cases to save money, then without adequate review a "safety
case" approach appears to be fatally flawed.

So far I have not seen arguments from anybody on this list that
address this fundamental flaw.

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com