[SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Feb 3 23:18:27 CET 2014

> On 3 Feb 2014, at 22:46, "Tom Ferrell" <tom at faaconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> The biggest reason I would suggest for a relatively low amount of
> confirmation bias in the current aerospace designee-oriented system is

I'm glad we agree on that.

Simply put, it seems that, in the US and Europe, in the statistically safest safety-critical industry, it suffices to designate a valued company colleague to look at our design carefully, and tell us where we may have screwed it up. And say "OK" when we fix it, if heshe thinks it needs fixing.

I agree, of course, that there are lots of dangers to avoid with this approach. And I'm glad we avoid them.

My conclusion, again: Confirmation bias just doesn't seem to be an important issue that needs to be addressed to get it righter than in other industries.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited