[SystemSafety] Fwd: NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Tue Feb 4 10:37:46 CET 2014

I think it is pretty clear (as Peter has illustrated well through his set
of examples) that we all may be using "safety case" as shorthand
for a number of different things relating to design, regulation, operations
and assurance.

I submit that there are a number of concerns common to all of these, which
may be minimised or exaggerated depending on exactly what is meant.

1) A purely goal-based approach may result in failure to follow good design
principles and/or safety processes.
    [The extent to which this is true depends on whatever prescription goes
along with the safety case, and the ability of the regulator to spot
deviations from good practice]

2) A purely goal-based approach can shift the focus of safety efforts to
quantitative assessment of safety instead of good design. This is a Bad
Thing.
    [The extent to which this is true depends on the industry approach to
goal-setting and demonstration that goals are met]

3) An explicit safety argument may increase confirmation bias, making good
review harder
    [If true, this would apply to all the meanings of safety case, but this
is the one we have a scientific disagreement about]

4) Safety cases aren't a substitute for competent review, and in fact
increase the need for strong adversarial review
    [I think we have a range of non-contradictory opinions here. E.g. I
maintain that all safety assurance needs strong review, I think Nancy is
holding that strong prescription reduces the effort required for this
review.]

5) An explicit argument may help in cases where there are degrees of
freedom in applying regulation and standards, at least to the extent that
it requires people to make choices sensibly and justify them
    [This would apply when safety cases are attached to prescribed safety
processes, would not apply for purely goal based situations, and would be
irrelevant where design was prescribed]

6) Customary practice and culture may in fact swamp the effects of choices
about how to regulate or present assurance evidence. Safety cases aren't a
direct solution to entrenched cultural problems.
   [Caveat is that they are often introduced as part of sweeping reforms -
hard to spot the signal from the noise here]

Have I misrepresented anyone here or missed any major concerns?

Drew

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer: