[SystemSafety] Fwd: Contextualizing & Confirmation Bias

Nancy Leveson leveson.nancy8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 20:56:04 CET 2014

PBL writes:
>The term "confirmation bias" originally refers to the following
phenomenon. (1) You believe A. (2)
>You act as if A. (3) You experience the world as if A is true. (4) You end
up believing A more than
>you did at the beginning simply because of that.

>Now, that's a fairly well-circumscribed phenomenon, and it is a lot more
limited than what has been
>proposed here.

Peter, this is not the definition of confirmation bias used in the
psychology literature. It appears that you have made up a very
circumscribed definition, and then conclude that the phenomenon is limited
and circumscribed because your definition was.

It would be helpful if you would provide references if you are going to
provide definitions that differ greatly from the widely accepted.

Nancy

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 2:48 PM, Peter Bernard Ladkin <
ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

> [...]
> sceptical inference from "this
> argument for acceptably-safe operation is full of holes" to "this system
> is not acceptably safe in
> operation" is not invariably correct; indeed is often wrong.
>
> The phenomenon to which Nancy was drawing attention is that, in a
> safety-case regime, the conclusion
> "this system is acceptably safe in operation" is somehow more likely to be
> erroneously drawn than in
> a regime where specific prophylactic measures are applied during
> development and ticked off as
> fulfilled. In the US. In the oil industry.
>
> Well, OK, maybe that's so. But I am not really OK with using the term
> "confirmation bias" to suggest
> a reason for that. I'm a "confirmation bias fundamentalist". I think you
> should use the term in its
> original use.
>
> On 2/5/14 6:40 PM, Derek M Jones wrote:>
> > So its not confirmation bias if, sometime after doing the
> > analysis, you are shown to be correct?
>
> I didn't say that. But I would say that an attribution of confirmation
> bias is much harder to
> sustain if you succeeded in reaching the truth. Indeed, I'd say that an
> attribution of any bias at
> all is hard to sustain if you succeed in reaching the truth, except if
> it's due to happenstance.
>
> > I have always regarded confirmation bias as not depending on the answer
> > given and actual answer being correlated in any way.
>
> Sure it is.
>
> A die is an instrument with a purpose: when you roll it "randomly", then
> any face is as likely as
> any other to be shown. When one face is more likely that some other, we
> call the die "biased". The
> vicar is not suffering from confirmation bias if indeed he is "protected
> by higher agencies". He is
> just acting according to the way the world is. Whereas, if there is no
> higher agency protecting him
> as he approaches the junction, then his actions can be said to be
> partially due to "confirmation bias".
>
> The STS people want a term for a phenomenon independent of the way the
> world "actually is". I am
> sceptical whether one can even reasonably individuate the phenomenon when
> one makes no assumptions
> about the way the world really is.
>
> On 2/5/14 6:45 PM, Nick Lusty wrote:
> > Whilst accepting that all science is done in its own context, surely
> getting "the right answer ...
> > when there was a right answer to get" is a not evidence of the absence
> of confirmation bias in the
> > experiment.
>
> Neither is it evidence of the absence of elephants in the room. I have no
> idea whether Millikan's
> results suffered in some way from confirmation bias. I am only suggesting
> that the evidence we have
> does not indicate that they did.
>
> PBL
>
> Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, Faculty of Technology, University of

Prof. Nancy Leveson
Aeronautics and Astronautics and Engineering Systems
MIT, Room 33-334
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02142

Telephone: 617-258-0505