[SystemSafety] Safety Cases

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Feb 11 09:50:10 CET 2014

On 2/11/14 1:59 AM, Tracy White wrote:
> ....I have been on a project where somebody wanted a hazard log entry for ‘using the wrong steel’ and ‘using the wrong colour paint’

Like you, I have been in engineering discussions in which people fail to make the distinction
between functional safety and other types of safety.

The example I use in
http://www.rvs.uni-bielefeld.de/publications/books/ComputerSafetyBook/12-Kapitel_12.pdf is that of a
level crossing (grade crossing), in which there are dangers arising through proper and improper
functioning of the warning and barrier mechanisms, and sometimes through design (impatient people
are tempted to slalom through half-barriers, and this continues to be a cause of collisions), as
well as possible non-functional dangers (the paint on the barriers is leaded and flakes off into the
environment or onto the hands of passers-by; one of the pedestrian barriers has a projecting screw
on which people may snag themselves).