[SystemSafety] Safety Cases

Michael Jackson jacksonma at acm.org
Tue Feb 11 15:53:59 CET 2014

Peter and Peter:

[Peter B]
"Not right" does not necessarily = "Unsafe"
e.g. turning the ignition key might fail to start the engine but the
car is still safe (probably safer than if it did start!).

[MJ] Yes. This is an example of a 'positive' functional requirement
whose failure does not pose a safety risk. By contrast, failure of
the complementary functional requirement---turning the key the other
way stops the engine---does pose a safety risk, as some unintended
acceleration incidents show. This is an example of my first kind of
safety concern: unsafe because the intended behaviour 'went wrong'.

[Peter B]
Also "right" in the sense of compliance to positive requirements does
not guarantee safety if some positive safety requirement has been
omitted. e.g. large lorries turning left (driver's blind side( have
been killing quite a few cyclists in  London recently - probably
because there is no requirement to be able to detect cyclists beside the lorry

[MJ] Yes. But surely compliance to positive requirements must mean
compliance to the stated and agreed positive requirements. If by
ignorance or neglect no positive requirement to detect cyclists has
been stated and agreed, then the case you mention is more like my
second type of safety concern: for the ignorant or neglectful
developers, blind-side cyclists are one of an unbounded set of
hazards outside the alphabet (or vocabulary) of the designed
behaviour---just like a tree falling on your car.

[PeterL]
(we probably prefer the word "vocabulary" to the word "alphabet",
because items of vocabulary have
meanings whereas items of an alphabet generally not)

[MJ] I take your point about the abstract nature of alphabet
elements. The advantage of  'alphabet' is that it denotes a precisely
defined set of distinct elements.

[PeterL]
For example, when expressing the safety requirement of a level
crossing (grade crossing), one
doesn't need to express any general functional requirement of a
train, or a road vehicle, except
that they occupy space. The safety requirement is then that the space
that each occupies must be
disjoint. You don't even need to say, at this level, that a car
moves, or a train moves. But surely
something about enabling movement must be in, or derivable from, the
general functional requirements
of either.

[MJ] Yes. But there is a wide gap between such a requirement and the
design of the crossing system. The requirement is a desired property
of the system behaviour. The system includes the tracks and the given
population of rail and road vehicles, and its designed behaviour must
take proper account of the sizes and speeds of these vehicles. When
we have a proposed designed behaviour we can evaluate whether it has
the desired property. In the case of your requirement for disjoint
spaces this would count as a safety analysis; the case of enabling
movement demands exactly the same kind of analysis, but it would not
count as a safety analysis.

-- Michael