[SystemSafety] Safety Cases

Tracy White tracyinoz at mac.com
Wed Feb 12 04:35:36 CET 2014

Peter

Probably why Rail sensibly talk in terms of the single acronym RAMS (reliability, availability, maintainability and safety) acknowledging the close relationship in terms of competing requirements in this area (saw that relationship described as a ‘symbiotic’ in a SSS article some time back); probably a further reason why systems and safety assurance should be talked about (argued) in the same breath.

I see RAM as providing a context for describing the ‘acceptability’ of the achieved safety. I do like the phrase that I heard used many years ago where safety was described as a ‘quality attribute’ of a design/product; equally RAMS are ‘quality attributes’ of any product for which you would desire some measure in order to assess the ‘rightness’ of the deliverable.

Tracy