[SystemSafety] Logic

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Sun Feb 16 06:42:03 CET 2014

Peter
I am in furious agreement with Steve Tockey. If we are to deal effectively
with the large code bodies that are now the norm. We must find a way to
bring formal methods out of the lab and into general use.
The primary reason for this is that the larger a code body becomes the less
likely it is that anyone but the author will ever review the code. Ask your
formal methods detractors, "do you really want to sit on an aircraft with
avionics software that has been eyeballed by only one person - the author?"
I have done enough test work to be fully conversant with the ugliness that
some programmers are capable of. Believe me, you do not want to be anywhere
near a life critical software intensive system infused by same.
Of course I am assuming here that formal methods support automated static
and possibly dynamic code review. Am I correct?
I know from personal experience that manual review of very complex designs
and code is substantially simplified by semiformal methods such as state
machines.

The mission of any engineering discipline is to reduce science to practice
to solve real world problems. Unfortunately the profession seems to be stuck
at semiformal methods.
The current impediment is money; finding investors who want to pay for the
software engineer to formally specify program before it's written.
On one missile program I worked on it was hard enough to get the cash to
keep the mission function flow diagrams up-to-date, let alone specify
anything with formal methods.
Simplification and maybe tool support is the solution. I hope that's
possible - over to you.
If we could abstract this problem in terms of human commercial behaviour,
industry experience with state engines is a good case study. Vendors of
programmable logic controllers took a commercial decision to emulate relay
racks described by ladder diagrams when they first released their products.
This allowed existing electricians to use the new tools with minimal
training. They could have followed the other option of logical decomposition
of all control problems into cooperating state engines. That would have
required retraining of the entire cohort of electrical tradesmen and, as
such, would probably have been commercial suicide.
Of late, some products do support the state engine concept though the last
one I came across was a really ugly implementation.
In the period 1975 to 1985 I worked in an environment where all control
systems were implemented with cooperating state engines. We simplified the
concept so plant operators could easily understand what was going on. We
never did use the word State. We used step. We didn't use the phrase state
engine. We used the term sequence control unit. Operators understood that.
That's how operator manuals were organised. After a few years we even had
operators - with no high school education, who had run a state based
machinery and learnt the concepts by doing - writing control programs.
Is this possible with formal methods? This is a righteous question that I
would like to see answered by the enormous cohort of brainpower corralled in
the world's universities. A solution would be hugely beneficial to the
industry at large.
My humble suggestion for a starting point is to start with something that
programmers know and move on from there.
I am passionate about this subject because, in a previous life, I was the
poor electrician responsible for figuring out how a room full of relay racks
was controlling a high-speed lift (elevator). The massive complexity of
these control systems required 2 to 3 years practical experience before you
became useful. It was a craft with high priests who "had the knowledge" and
walked on water. Much like current practitioners of formal methods. That
does not have to be. State engines simplify. State engines support analysis
of design. I hope the same will be true one day for upsidedown As and
backward Es.
In the meantime, the joint ACM, IEEE task force , who recently released
their latest curriculum guidelines for undergraduate degree programmes in
computer science are very supportive of teaching formal methods in their
software engineering modules. See:
http://www.acm.org/education/CS2013-final-report.pdf
I hope this helps.

Go Peter.