[SystemSafety] Logic

John Knight jck at virginia.edu
Sun Feb 16 17:58:22 CET 2014

Peter,

> obviously I agree with much of what you say. But I am discussing with people who believe that we
> constitute an exception to much of it.

I think we are talking about different things.  Research projects need
software rapid prototypes to support investigation in areas such as AI
and robotics.   These are "throw-away" prototypes that should never make
it into production and usually don't.

I am talking about software products that are part of engineered
computer systems which will subject others (possibly the general public)
to risk.  Higher education has a responsibility to prepare professional
engineers to perform that engineering.  That education needs to make it
clear that:

  * Engineers are responsible for what they do.
  * Engineering is a profession not some amateur activity.
  * Mathematics is an essential component of professional computer
    engineering.

"We must find a way to bring formal methods out of the lab and into
general use."

I generally agree.  But I note that we have industrial strength systems
such as SPARK Ada, industrial scope use of such systems such as the NATS
iFACTS system, and substantial evidence from Peter Amey and his
colleagues that applying such technology is cheaper and better than the
informal alternatives.

-- John