[SystemSafety] Logic

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Mon Feb 17 13:24:35 CET 2014

And then, of course, there was Wordsworth [love my code because it's
beautiful - I said so]

What we have loved, others will love
And we will teach them how
- Wordsworth to Coleridge in his poem: The Prelude

And for the crash and burn artists:

We work like the Wright brothers built airplanes: build the whole thing,
push it off the cliff, let it crash, and start over again.
- Professor R.M. Graham, MIT

Innovation is failure sped up.
- Porras et al, Success Built to Last

And for those who don't like witnesses:

The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone.
- Albert Camus (French Algerian philosopher)

and, as for god

God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant and
the cat. He has no real style, He just goes on trying other things.
- Pablo Picasso

And for those with a high tolerance to risk:

No game was ever worth a wrap
For a rational man to play
Into which no accident, no mishap,
Could possibly find its way.
- Adam Lindsay Gordon

And for the true poets amongst us:

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
- Paul Valery (1871 - 1945, French poet, essayist, and philosopher)

Then there are the hard core practitioners:

When you see something that is technically sweet, you go ahead and do it and
you argue about what to do about it only after you have had your technical
success. That is the way it was with the atomic bomb.
- Robert Oppenheimer (director of the WW II US atomic bomb project)

But finally some good advice:

If you think a professional is expensive, wait 'til you try an amateur.
- Paul "Red" Adair (American oil well firefighter)

Cheers
Les