[SystemSafety] Logic

Michael Jackson jacksonma at acm.org
Tue Feb 18 18:14:51 CET 2014

Perhaps the discussion about scalability needs to be tightened up a little.

1.  Questioning 'scalability' assumes, I think that work 'on a larger
scale' is in some respects different from work 'on a smaller scale'.
Are there such differences, and, if so, what are they?

2.  Are we discussing the applicability of particular formal methods
such as X, Y and Z, as described in their respective books and
papers? Or the applicability of disciplined formal logic and
mathematics generally?

3.  Is the question whether the putatively applicable method or
discipline is locally and partially applicable (as, for example,
arithmetic is locally and partially applicable to architecture), or
is globally applicable (as, for example, COBOL was at one time
claimed to be globally applicable to the whole of a data processing system)?

4.  Self-evidently we expect logic to save us from logic errors in
development. Are there other kinds of error? If so, what saves us
from them, and how is it related to the use of logic?

5.  Is it true that formal expression of any requirement, design or
other development artifact is superior to informal expression? If
not, how are informal and formal expression related in a development?

-- Michael Jackson