[SystemSafety] Re(Hamburg experiences: Change of passenger warnings on Hamburg subway from today.

brunnste at informatik.uni-hamburg.de brunnste at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Feb 19 12:12:32 CET 2014

Steve, we have now in Hamburg TWO different warning systems:
     one  - the underground or "U-Bahn" - now without any oral
        announcement and just a beep sequence during door closing,
     and one - the rapid rail system or "S-Bahn"- with oral
        announcement followed by few beeps when doors close
        automagically.

My observation (even yesterday upon returning from Berlin) is
that passengers with the 2nd system (oral plus beeps) try to board
the train at last second during the oral warning. Possibly they
still think that the oral announcement is given by some natural
person which can oversee the situation and that doors are closed
only after their permission (btw: this personalized warning
is still practiced at some central subway stations during rush
hours also presently!). I have not observed such attempts to board
the train after beeping started (possibly as people know that this
automagic mechanism is not as flexible as with human surveillance)

Of course: I have no statistical data supporting my suspicions.

Best wishes: Klaus (February 19, 2014)