[SystemSafety] Teaching software engineering (was Re: Logic)

Watts Malcolm (AE/ENG11-AU) Malcolm.Watts at au.bosch.com
Mon Feb 24 07:42:56 CET 2014

Bertrand;

In my experience most companies who are using, investigating or being assessed by (potential) customers against any kind of maturity model (CMM/CMMI, (A)SPICE, ISO/TS16949...) have a pretty good awareness of both specific issues, and general maturity.  Use of such a model (by self or others) implies some degree of corporate introspection.

I currently work for a large company, and I can confirm that there are both individual divisions that know their own maturity (against some more-or-less objective standard) and seek to improve it.  And there are corporate functions who are aware of the level of maturity of specified divisions or entities, even if those entities are not themselves aware of such.  We have an internal culture of this kind of awareness; some of our divisions “compete” (in a nice way) to get recognition via things like the EFQM Excellence Model.

In a company of our size, it would not be sensible to talk about a “company” knowing whether or not it was mature  - or even to speak of the whole company being mature or not.
(CMMI kind-of recognises this in the scope of appraisal, and setting sponsorship at an appropriate level for appraisals).

I have worked for smaller (ordinary ?) companies that were acutely aware of their level of maturity (in general and regarding specific issues), and of the need to improve.  In many cases, the market makes you aware of this; customers, competitors and regulators.  Sometimes, internal or external auditing does this too.

In my experience awareness is not evenly distributed.  In one company I can think of, the engineering staff, the GM and some other senior managers knew that the company was not mature in a number of ways (engineering, in marketing, and in corporate governance), but the marketing manager and some line managers (for example) apparently had no clue.  The company I’m thinking of made improvements because key people knew the issues. I’m not sure what it means to say that “the companies” know...

I think we are an “ordinary” company – as were my previous employers.

Mal.