[SystemSafety] NYTimes: The Next Accident Awaits

C. Michael Holloway c.m.holloway at nasa.gov
Thu Jan 30 16:51:55 CET 2014

Greetings,

As a US citizen, my perception differs a bit.

The primary cultural reluctance is not against "the outside" or "Europe", but
against change no matter the source.  The proponents of a proposed change
tend to bear the entire burden of proof to show that the change will
definitely lead to significant improvements without substantial (or perhaps
any) increased costs. The standard of proof is often quite high.  This
tendency is not always present, as some organizations will adopt the latest
management fad without requiring any proof whatsoever.  But that may be
explained by another tendency.

Many people seem to give the strongest weight to the opinions of favorite
"experts." No matter what evidence may exist to show that X is a good thing,
if Prof. Y says that X is bad, then by golly, X is bad. And vise versa: Prof.
Y saying X is good overcomes mountains of evidence to the contrary.  (This
tendency may be stronger than the anti-change tendency in some people and
organizations; thus explaining the management fad crazes.)

A third tendency relates to "individual freedom and responsibility," as
noted.  For a substantial number of people, government regulation of any form
is suspect.  Such people often have a difficult time distinguishing between
regulation that is necessary to protect the public and regulation that is
irrelevant to public safety.

These three tendencies seem to me to explain much of the reluctance in the US
to giving more serious consideration of adopting more explicitly goal-based
approaches.

Michael Holloway
(speaking for myself alone, and not NASA, or any other US citizen)

P.S. As a couple of asides. ...  First, I'd be inclined to rewrite the "at
the level of the average person" as "global means China, international means
Europe and the middle east, and worldwide means worldwide."  Second,
depending on the location of the particular street, one might easily find an
overwhelming majority of people who view Europe as (1) a near utopia, which
the US should hope to become; or (2) a near dystopia, which the US should
deeply fear becoming.