[SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

RICQUE Bertrand (SAGEM DEFENSE SECURITE) bertrand.ricque at sagem.com
Wed Jul 16 10:43:42 CEST 2014

I dont' know what is the value of the German translation, but here in France we have an interesting issue.

Until recently, IEC was publishing the standards in French and English as these are the two official languages of IEC. IEC was taking care of the translations and the (french) committee members were reviewing the French translation in the same way as the English version before release within the frame of their work in the committee. From a French perspective this process has 2 interesting aspects:

* Allow to check the consistency between both languages.

* Allow to introduce some nuances authorised by the differences in the syntax (you know things like UN resolutions such as  in English "free occupied territories" and in French "free THE occupied territories". It is very nice to have an official language nobody speaks, you can twist the texts as you want totally legally).

Now the French standardisation body, AFNOR, struggling to find some money to survive, has obtained the right to sell standards they have themselves translated. So they started translating, for instance IEC 61511, BEFORE CDV, and without any review by the committee experts (who don't want to do twice the job on an unstable document and to take any responsibility on the content of the text that the standardisation body does not want to take either ...).

This is going very soon to result in 2 different IEC standards in French. The odd is that they have translated parts that were unchanged from the previous edition (they just had to copy and paste) or have translated part that were originating from French material. The result is rather funny looking more or less like a Google Translator product !

I thus prefer to stick to the English original version.

If some among you speak French and want to have some fun just read the text. You will find things such as "shadow processor" translated by "processeur de l'ombre".

I thus prefer to stick to the English original version.

Bertrand Ricque

Program Manager

Optronics and Defence Division

Sights Program