[SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:10:38 CEST 2014

Don't hold back, Matthew! Say what you really think.

What bugs me most is that one reason the standards process has got like
this is proliferation of useless standards.

FMEA is a broad-brush name for a family of techniques. What is the benefit
of locking the practice of those techniques into a standard?

You can't tell if FMEA has been performed well by auditing it against a
standard, so it is useless for quality control or contract management, if
not downright counter-productive. Use of a standard implies that someone is
spending time checking that it meets the standard instead of meets its
actual objectives. If the standard is intended instead to teach people how
to do FMEA properly, then the standardisation process is not the way to go
about it.

Worse, the name "FMEA" is often used to cover functional failure analysis
type activities that have different purposes to bottom-up component FMEA.
Whichever direction the standard jumps (covering both, or restricting to
one) it is going to contribute to confused people applying techniques at
the wrong stage in the lifecycle for them to do any good. We'll get people
performing FMEA in a particular way at a particular time because "it's in
the contract, and the contract calls up the standard" instead of "because I
think it will help make a safer system".

Standards processes seldom have an easy way for people outside the
immediate process to say "You're whole approach to this is wrong". They're
much more suited to complaining about how specific bits are expressed, on
the assumption that the overall framework makes sense.

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm