[SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

Braband, Jens jens.braband at siemens.com
Wed Jul 16 19:39:12 CEST 2014

>From an application-oriented perspective there are some advantages in creating general as well as sector-specific standards, e. g.

- the customer or an authority or another standard asks to perform an FMEA
- so we need a definition what are the minimal requirements to do the job well. This could be written in a textbook, a guideline or a standard
- creation of standards often starts at IEC with a general standard, which gives the basic process and requirements
- but often this is not specific enough for the purpose, so automotive, military etc create their own standards, which in an ideal world would only be refinements of the general standard
- in a specific project the FMEA performed is usually tailored for the purpose but should be compliant with the standard

The problem I see often standardization committees is that while it would be normal to recruit the best (or at least some pretty good) experts in the field for the project team, often the team is only selected from the committee. When I was about 10 years ago project leader for the revision of IEC 61165 dealing with Markov techniques I invited some good and well known people in the field, and some of them, including Alessandro Birolini, Yoshinobo Sato and Ken Simpson, joined in, but some of them declined.

But I agree with Peter that there should be some minimal quality requirements and some competence management for standards development.

Best regards

Jens Braband

PS The opinion given here is my private, not necessarily that of my employer or other organizations that I represent.