[SystemSafety] FMEA draft international standard

John Knight jck at virginia.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:29:33 CEST 2014

On 7/16/14, 3:53 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> For example, John Knight has complained publicly that he cannot obtain copies of standards to which
> he has himself contributed as a committee member without paying out large sums of money to which he
> does not have access in his academic role. And his students thereby cannot study them. He is right.
> Almost all academia is hindered from using actual - even past - standards in their teaching, at
> least in the area in which I work. That seems to be absurd if the standards' claim to codify current
> state of the art is true.

Just to follow up on what Peter said here, I have proposed a model in which:

  * All standards from all sources are placed in the public domain.
  * Authorities that use standards as part of certification require that
    applicants pay a fee to the standards development organization for
    using the standard.

As an example, in my model RTCA DO-178C would be in the public domain.
But any organization seeking certification from the FAA for an avionics
software system would pay a fee to RTCA.  The FAA would require a copy
of the receipt.

This model provides the community with full access to the standards and
charges those who benefit commercially from standards rather than the
community at large.

-- John