[SystemSafety] Competence Criteria for Safety Practitioners

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Sat Jul 19 14:09:43 CEST 2014

Carl,
I agree with you absolutely that we shouldn't have someone setting
themselves up as "arbiters of safety competence" in a similar sense, for
example, to Chartered Engineer status. I think there is enough problem with
Chartered status trying to define a minimum but sufficient set of skills to
be considered an engineer without adding the complexities of different
meanings of "safety practitioner".

I think there is a wide middle ground between that and offering very
generic advice to companies on setting up a competency scheme. There is a
difference too between offering practical advice and providing guidelines
of the current form. They aren't practical considerations, there are an
actual structure for a competency scheme that isn't being offered.
Practical considerations wouldn't be "there are three levels called X, Y
and Z" they would be "If you you really must have levels in your scheme,
make sure you have a way of writing criteria for how people fit in the
levels and move between them".

(As an aside: One of my favorite gripes with the current guidelines - in
many cases you cannot qualify for a level without already performing work
which requires competency at that level, thereby forcing you to either act
outside your competency first, or never be able to demonstrate a higher
competency).

I think there is a real need for standardisation of competency recognition.
One of the ways to achieve this is an accreditation scheme. Another is
guidelines that provide standardisation. What needs standardisation is the
particular competencies though. Lists of _which_ competencies are required
are the sort of thing that can be offered as suggestions, but are really
bespoke to companies not something for an external organisation to judge
what is needed. For example:

Company A says that a staff member is "Competent in Fault Tree Analysis" at
Practioner Level

Company B says that a role requires someone who can:
   Read and interpret fault trees
   Explain fault tree notation
   Describe the strengths and weaknesses of fault trees as an analysis
method

Education provider C provides a course whith learning objective that
students can "Understand Fault Tree Analysis at a basic level"

Is the staff member from A eligible to take the role at Company B? What
about someone who has taken the course from Education Provider C?

How does Company D fill their own duty of care when selecting someone from
A, B or C that the person is actually competent?

A good set of guidelines, regardless of the accreditation, should have a
set of well written safety competencies, with suggestions on how they can
be acquired and demonstrated. There should also be sample sets of
competencies, with a clear understanding that they aren't prescriptive for
any particular role.

I also think that some form of accreditation and recognition of
competencies is desirable, and is why we have professional bodies in the
first place. You are right that SARS is trying to push to have control, but
it's control that IET has rejected. Without any criticism of specific
individuals, as a body IET's interest in safety as a professional community
has been as a marketplace to sell things to, not maintaining and growing
professional standards. I would welcome a reversal of that position.

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm