[SystemSafety] EASA Notice of Proposed Amendment 2014-13

SPRIGGS, John J John.SPRIGGS at nats.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 16:19:41 CEST 2014

>  Maybe John Spriggs will have something to say,

I do not want to upset an organisation that is, in  effect, my Regulator's Regulator, but I was originally given to believe that this activity was just intended to consolidate the existing Common Requirements and Oversight Regulations into one harmonious whole.  It seems to have grown enormously from that.

It was not meant to impinge on (EC) No 552/2004, which is the authority for Mandate 390, but there are rumours that it may now do so.  Furthermore, I understand that EASA develop their own means of compliance; if this were to be the case, the Mandate would become superfluous.

I must admit that I had not noticed the proposed 'promotion' of (EC) No 482/2008, from a external reference requiring a Software Safety Assurance System, to a section on system assurance; it was pointed out to me by a correspondent at another ANSP.  I will have to track it more carefully, as that would require a major change to our management systems.

John

Note that, in this context, "Oversight" means the act of overseeing, and not an unintentional failure to notice or do something...