[SystemSafety] A comparison of STPA and ARP 4761

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 01:49:54 CEST 2014

To be absolutely fair, the comparison is between the worked example
provided in ARP 4761 and a STAMP rerun of the same example. Problems have
previously been identified with the worked example provided, see Dawkins,
Kelly, McDermid, Murdoch and Pumfrey (1999) at the link below. I don't
actually think that the standard is particularly well served by the
example. Though again to be fair it does provide a full end to end example
of a safety assessment in a standard which is (I think) a first.

All that being said the Leveson report is spot on in my estimation as to
the focus of ARP 4761 on 'failure', for example (from section 3.1 of ARP
4761) "The goal in conducting the FHA is to clearly identify each failure
condition..." and "The PSSA is a systematic examination of the proposed
system architecture(s) to determine how failures can cause the functional
hazards identified in the FHA". There are historical, industry and
regulatory reasons for that focus of course.

I'd recommend anyone reading the Leveson team's report to also read, or
reread, the paper at the link.

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~tpk/pssa.pdf

*Matthew Squair*
MIEAust CPEng