[SystemSafety] Two Process-Industry Accidents

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 24 13:10:52 CEST 2014

On 2014-06-24 08:55 , Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> There are some useful articles which we didn't reference during the discussion in January/February.
> An article by Rena Steinzor, a legal scholar at the Uni Maryland:
> http://lawdigitalcommons.bc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1695&context=ealr  and a review by Peter
> Wilkinson of Nancy's paper on safety cases, on the CSB WWW site:
> http://www.csb.gov/assets/1/7/Wilkinson_Review_of_Leveson_Paper.pdf . Dewi Daniels also suggested
> that he had reviewed Nancy's paper http://www.systemsafetylist.org/0799.htm , but he hasn't shared
> his review with us (yet). Maybe he could?

For completeness, some more references.

Steinzor's article refers to James Inge's 2007 article on Safety Cases in the SSS, with a version
also in ISSC http://safety.inge.org.uk/20071115-Inge2007a_The_Safety_Case-U.pdf  It's a useful read,
and well-written. James is here, so I'm a little surprised he didn't chip in when we were discussing
what a safety case was in January.

Dewi Daniels pointed out that his review of Nancy's paper on safety cases appeared on the York list
at http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/hise/safety-critical-archive/2012/0294.html

I suggest that the thread on Safety Cases in mid-2012 is worth looking at again. I particularly like
Martyn's succinct statement at http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/hise/safety-critical-archive/2012/0230.html
, as I said at the time.