[SystemSafety] Static Analysis

Michael Jackson jacksonma at acm.org
Mon Mar 3 18:50:53 CET 2014

Alvery:

Yes, indeed. And a large part of the difficulty lies in formalising
the given properties
and behaviours of the domain (which it possesses independently of the
controller)
and formalising the constraints which the controller will impose on
those properties
and behaviours and the resultant actual behaviours that will be
exhibited in system
operation.

Some formal methods (for example, Event-B) do attempt formal
verification of the
whole system (controller plus domain). Event-B is concerned (so far as I know)
with discrete systems only. Its approach to formalising the physical
world is not
beyond criticism; but it is strong on formal (often automated) proofs
of invariant
properties---safety properties in the sense of 'not liveness'. The
resulting formal
models are still, however, very far from any practical implementation
language for
controller programs.

Best wishes,

-- Michael