[SystemSafety] MH370

David Crocker dcrocker at eschertech.com
Tue Mar 11 13:41:15 CET 2014

Large commercial aircraft already transmit their position and other
parameters to other aircraft, via mode S extended squitter, and in some
areas (some USA airspace AFAIR) by ADSB over VHF data link. If aircraft
recorded some of the data they received from other aircraft, then there
would be the possibility of determining the last position of an aircraft
before catastrophic failure from the recordings stored by other aircraft
in the vicinity, even in areas where there is no radar cover. This could
speed up the recovery of the FDR and CVR.

Whether this would be viable depends on the range at which data can be
received from other aircraft, and the density of aircraft in the airspace.

David Crocker, Escher Technologies Ltd.
http://www.eschertech.com
Tel. +44 (0)20 8144 3265 or +44 (0)7977 211486