[SystemSafety] words you cannot use at GM

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed May 21 09:19:36 CEST 2014

This would seem to be one of the disadvantages of not taking IEC/ISO standards seriously. In European arbitration, the claim "the applicable international standard says...." is mostly taken very seriously by the arbitrators, I understand.

Not that the standards are perfect, or even wonderful..... :-) But they do tend to say " there is no such thing as zero risk". Indeed, in IEC 61511 you're only "allowed" to assume that an otherwise-unqualified process control system has a failure rate of 1 in 10 ophours or worse.

PBL

Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited