[SystemSafety] words you cannot use at GM

nfr felix.redmill at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed May 21 10:37:46 CEST 2014

"Safety" is not forbidden?

Some years ago, when I edited papers for the annual System Safety Symposium (in England), I received a call, rather close to the delivery deadline, from an author in a US-based automotive company.
"We've got a problem," he said. "The company reviewers have told me that I have to remove every mention of the word 'safety'. What can we do?"
I suggested replacing "safety" with "risk" and adjusting the wording accordingly.
"I've tried that," he replied, "but I'm not allowed to use the word 'risk' either."
It was too late for me to commission a replacement paper, and our "solution" was to employ the word "reliability", which was not what the paper was about.

Felix.