[SystemSafety] words you cannot use at GM

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Wed May 21 11:52:15 CEST 2014

This isn't just a USA thing. Customers and companies do it to themselves
all the time.

Simple example: Insisting that every hazard must be marked "closed" before
a contract can be completed. "Closed" never actually means closed, just
that the next action to be taken on the hazard is beyond the
scope/timeframe of the currently contracted task. Of course, after
insisting that the word is used, the document then gets passed to someone
who speaks English instead of hazard log legalese, and and thinks that
nothing further has to be done.

The best thing you can do in all these cases is "If the customer/lawyer
insists that you use silly wording, do what they pay you to do. Just don't
ever lie to you yourself about what the underlying reality is." If you're
in the US and you can't use the term "acceptably safe", then every time you
say safe you need to do an internal translation "and by safe I mean that I
know that there is remaining risk, but I have considered that it is
acceptable".

No suggestions how you deal with that pesky ethical requirement to
accurately communicate information about risk.

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer:
http://www.york.ac.uk/docs/disclaimer/email.htm