[SystemSafety] WG: words you cannot use at GM

Andrew Rae andrew.rae at york.ac.uk
Thu May 22 16:44:34 CEST 2014

Put me in the "on the one hand, on the other hand" camp. I actually think
"Acceptably safe" gets used as a halfway-house compromise between the
two useful definitions of safety:
 1) "Safe" is the absolute of zero risk. It's not achievable, so we are
never safe. We can just talk about how to approach this condition.
 2) "Safe" is the point where the level of risk becomes acceptable.

"Acceptable" is a loaded term, which requires unpacking, but that's the
point. The unpacking are all questions we should ask. Acceptable to whom?
Based on what information? Based on what standard of judging?

Too often, denying the term leads to failure to unpack. You aren't removing
the concept of acceptable risk by refusing to talk about it. Pinto is a
fantastic example for this. All cars have this nasty habit of spilling fuel
and catching fire when you hit them hard enough in the right way. Small
cars are less safe than big cars. At some point, even though they aren't
"safe" (by definition 1 above) we're going to allow them onto the road.
We're not going to make this decision in a sane way by denying that there
is a finite risk that people are going to die, and that if we spent more
money and effort those people might not die. Yes, it is an incredibly vague
and shifting standard when it is okay to stop trying to make the car safer,
but that's the reality of safety work.

That's why I hate this perception so common in the USA that it isn't OK to
talk about risk and cost benefit analysis. Of course it's okay. More than
that, it is a moral and legal obligation. Yes, if you make a cynical and
unreasonable trade off with other people's lives, and then write that down
on paper, the courts are not going to be happy. SO DON'T MAKE THE CYNICAL
AND UNREASONABLE TRADEOFF! Court cases are not exercises in cherry picking
your words. They're the exact opposite. If someone writes an email saying
"this is a death trap" and it is one of ten thousand emails openly
discussing and dealing with risk, the court is going to see those 10
thousand emails and the words in context. If you have a company policy
"don't admit to anyone that we're selling death traps" the court is going
to see that, too.

My system safety podcast: http://disastercast.co.uk
My phone number: +44 (0) 7783 446 814
University of York disclaimer: