[SystemSafety] WG: words you cannot use at GM

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri May 23 05:27:37 CEST 2014

>From a systems engineering perspective the word 'acceptable' is a
subjective qualifier, meaning the requirement for something to be
'acceptably safe' is unverifiable as it introduces subjective and
potentially different interpretations.

Likewise terms such as 'reasonably', 'credible' and 'practicable' introduce
subjective interpretation and judgement. Unless you carefully define in a
verifiable sense what each means of course.

I also tend to the school of thought that if you can't verify a requirement
in any credible sense it's not a technical requirement, ergo such concepts
as SFAIRP or ALARP on their own are not true requirements,  nor should they
be introduced into specifications.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655