[SystemSafety] Nissan's new Indian car unsafe

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 14:12:48 CET 2014

Perhaps we have less accidents (and also more rules and engineered
 solutions) simply because we're 'safer', e.g more cautious, as a society
and as individuals. We just seem to confuse cause with effect.

If as John Adams argues a developing countries death rate from cars
accidents is essentially independent of the design of the cars or the rules
on the local statute books, then you could argue exactly the same in
reverse about developed countries. Say we filled London with jitneys,
scooters and motorized tri-shaws, if we take John's theory to its logical
conclusion the fatality rate still wouldn't budge.

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com