[SystemSafety] Dangerous Language

Drew Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Sun Nov 16 23:27:00 CET 2014

Les,

I was recently reprimanded by reviewers for referring to Harry Frankfurt's philosophy essay, "On Bullshit", in the title of an academic paper.
It was a sincere link to the concepts, too, not an attempt to draw controversy.

I was talking about the phenomena of safety analysis that fails to change people's minds - akin to the lack of concern with truth that Frankfurt talks about.

The end result of changing the title was that the concept of "lack of concern with truth" was downplayed in the next draft, and then the link to Frankfurt's work was cut
altogether a couple of revisions later.

There may be a reason Frankfurt's paper holds the informal record for least number of citations for an influential publication.

The annoying thing is, I have a very strong self-filter for profanity - part of a Presbyterian-inspired upbringing. I tend to only swear when I'm quoting or deliberately trying to achieve
a particular effect. Being mindlessly censored after I'd made a very considered choice of words (and after multiple discussions with co-authors) made me p****** *f*.

Drew

* This message is from my work email
* I can also be contacted on andrew at ajrae.com
* My mobile number is 0450 161 361
* My safety podcast is DisasterCast.co.uk