[SystemSafety] Safety of vulnerable road users: UK

Drew Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Mon Nov 17 07:47:16 CET 2014

Peter,
Much as I applaud the campaign, the statistics are a little …. ah …. let me just quote the original press release:

[4] 'Hands up' survey of 4,787 primary school children (aged 7-11) from schools across the UK participating in Brake's Giant Walking Bus, carried out between January and May 2014. When asked 'do you think roads in your neighbourhood can be dangerous for kids who are walking or cycling?', 67% said yes, 33% said no. When asked 'have you ever been hit or nearly hit by a vehicle while walking or cycling?', 41% said yes, 59% said no.

Why conduct epidemiological safety research when you can get just as good press coverage by asking kids to stick their hands in the air?

On the other hand working with social/peer expectations and norms can be an effective strategy for driver behaviour. It's the basis of the Queensland "If you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot" campaign, as
well as some more thoroughly evaluated fleet driver interventions.

Drew

* This message is from my work email
* I can also be contacted on andrew at ajrae.com
* My mobile number is 0450 161 361
* My safety podcast is DisasterCast.co.uk