[SystemSafety] Safety of vulnerable road users: UK

Mike Ellims michael.ellims at tesco.net
Mon Nov 17 10:44:31 CET 2014

>From personal experience with two bike equipped primary school kids I’d say we have a minor incident one or two times per month and a major incident that gets them told off with a bike ban maybe once or twice per year. But major I mean that a motorized vehicle drive had to take some avoiding action.

A part of the issue is that drivers don’t account for the fact that a five (and seven) year old on a bike is not actually a rational actor, and a large part of the time not even a reasonable approximation to one. For example if Thing #2 is mad at Thing #1 (most of the time) being mad takes precedence over riding safely and pretty much anything else.

Thus from experience the numbers 2 out of 5 nearly hit don’t seem at all unreasonable.