[SystemSafety] Royal College of Paediatrics weighs in

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 00:55:08 CET 2014

Nassim Talebs perspective on story telling is that hand in hand with that
almost irresistible urge to narrate goes the narrative fallacy. Not all
tales are true, or safe... :)

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 20 Nov 2014, at 10:42 am, Les Chambers <les at chambers.com.au> wrote:

Peter
Drilling down on your risk reduction strategies - two points: shinning down
a rope and walking in the United States of America.

1. The rope. You have a rope and an anchor point but how do you plan to
attach the rope to the anchor point (it's a single point of failure). Do you
plan to use a knot or some pre-configured rope snap or clip. If you plan to
use a knot what is your compliance level? For example: Are you certified for
tying defect free bowlines blindfolded, in a mental state of fear and panic,
surrounded by smoke and flames. Then there's the issue of rappelling. A
nontrivial task. I would recommend adding rope shunts and safety harnesses
or other rope rappelling gear to your kit. Further, I recommend you
recertify as soon as possible. Find a burning building and test your skills
descending a rope while being hosed down by firemen in the presence of smoke
and flames and lashings of fear. Five years is sufficient time to have rope
fitness melt away. Just the ageing process plays havoc with simple things
like balance. I had this proved to me in spades on a recent Atlantic
crossing. Being a keen cyclist I thought my balance would be good but
discovered this was not so. Try closing your eyes and standing on one leg.
Alternatively practice base jumping and substitute your rope for a
parachute.

2. Walking. Having lived in the Bay Area in a previous life I can confirm
you have violated one of the basic safety rules of California living. DO NOT
GET OUT OF YOUR CAR. I discovered last year that this rule also applies in
Miami. On a one-day stopover I hired a limo driver to give me a "cultural
tour". All over the world Limo drivers are a mine of information, not only
on the local colour but also they have marvellous stories to tell about
their lives. This guy was a Cuban refugee. We passed through a rough
neighbourhood and saw a man standing in the street looking at a block of
land. He was of Japanese appearance. "I hope he knows kung fu." Said the
driver. Yet another risk management strategy.
Hope this helps.

Seriously though, the rope tying metaphor can be useful in engaging people
with the extent to which their every-day safety depends on others. In safety
training environments I ask people to look around them and identify someone
who has shoelaces. When I get a show of hands I pick one and ask this person
how much they care about how well the shoelace owner ties knots? I always
get a quizzical look. Then I relate the story of the burning building, the
rope and the anchor point. The shoelace owner ties the knot then says, "You
first. I'll be right behind you."
"Now do you care?" I ask.
Given the extremely low probability that an individual will ever experience
the burning building scenario, the only way to raise safety awareness (and
to make some preparation for the unthinkable event) is to tell them a
compelling story.

Cheers
Les