[SystemSafety] Glasgow School of Art fire caused by gases from foam canister, says report

Peter Bernard Ladkin ladkin at rvs.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Nov 27 06:34:17 CET 2014

The School of Art is the masterpiece of Charles Rennie MacIntosh. The library was one of the most magnificent pieces of Art Nouveau architecture.

It all went up in flames originating from someone spraying expanding foam from a canister, a basic building material, in a non-ventilated area in which there was a source of heat. 

In other words, a basic failure of ElfinSafety. It says to ventilate and keep away from ignition sources on every can of the stuff which I've ever seen. It's required labelling.

The School apparently says they have "learnt a lot" about ElfinSafety. A rather expensive lesson for mankind. Kudos to them, though, for being straightforward about it.



Prof. Peter Bernard Ladkin, University of Bielefeld and Causalis Limited
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de/mailman/private/systemsafety/attachments/20141127/a412f589/attachment.html>

More information about the systemsafety mailing list