[SystemSafety] Autonomous Vehicles and "Hacking" Threats

Stefan Winter swi at deeds.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
Thu Nov 27 12:06:32 CET 2014

On 11/23/2014 11:01 AM, Peter Bernard Ladkin wrote:
> On 2014-11-21 17:38 , Stefan Winter wrote:
>> I had hoped for some better estimate of defect densities ...... The best approximation I
>> had come up with so far is the product of "lines of code in a modern car" (100 million for a premium
>> car in 2009) and "defect count per line of code in really critical software" (10^-4).....
>> If anyone has a better idea or wants to share more accurate numbers, please let me know.
>
> Is your interest strictly automotive, or in gathering information from various sectors? Assuming
> it's the latter, here is some more info.

My interest is mostly, but not strictly, automotive. The references I
have received from you and Martyn Thomas along with Dewi Daniels's
comments are very helpful to put any estimate for (automotive) software
defect rates in context. I agree that one should be careful drawing
conclusions from defect density comparisons, as the measured densities
may vary significantly with varying measurement processes and defect
notions.

Thanks for your input!
Stefan