[SystemSafety] Children as a causal factor in major accidents

DREW Rae d.rae at griffith.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 10:43:21 CEST 2014

Hi folks,
I've had an interesting request for a DisasterCast episode focussing on
children and major accidents.

1) Can anyone suggest a major accident where the presence or behavior of
children have been a causal factor? I'm looking specifically for where they
increased or determined the likelihood of the accident, not just accidents
with large numbers of children.

2) Can anyone suggest (in public-domain terms) ways children have had to be
treated as a special case in safety analysis?
Off the top of my head I can think of children as a special group in
population dose-response modelling for chemical releases, and the debate
about child restraints in aircraft.

[Didn't want to send a separate email to the whole list, but a public thank
you to John and Nancy for help with my last request re Columbia].

Drew

My safety podcast: disastercast.co.uk
My mobile (until October 2nd): +44 7783 446 814
My mobile (from October 6th): 0450 161 361