[SystemSafety] Bicycle Helmets

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 21:30:13 CEST 2014

Likewise I have a bicyclist friend who was hit by a car and her helmet
saved her from severe brain trauma.

This was her second bad concussion from riding within the space of a couple
of months, and as we found out the only thing the brain likes less than
being shaken vigorously is having it done again.

Fuzziness of the data notwithstanding, if we agree that helmets provide say
'-x' degree of risk reduction, but in the two populations the proportion of
injuries is still roughly the same, then we could conclude there must be
some source of additional risk equal to 'x' that helmeted riders are
exposed to? If so what is that risk? Or am I missing something?

Matthew Squair

MIEAust, CPEng
Mob: +61 488770655
Email; Mattsquair at gmail.com
Web: http://criticaluncertainties.com

On 15 Oct 2014, at 6:52 am, Peter Bernard Ladkin <