[SystemSafety] EN 50126/28/29 and MIL STD 882C - Differences

M Mencke menckem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:24:23 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I was wondering if anybody has experience in the application of MIL STD
882C in the railway sector, and if there are any major differences between
the application of the EN 50126/28/29 standards and this standard.

I do not want to (re) open a discussion about probabilistic risk
assessment, but as far as I can see, one of the differences is that THR is
not applied. However, occurrence of hazard categorization may be
measured qualitatively or quantitatively, EN 50126 calls it "frequence of
occurrence of hazardous events", whereas MIL STD 882C calls it "Hazard
Probability Levels".

Appendix A provides guidelines for implementation of system safety program
requirements, there is a matrix for "Small Dollar or Low Risk Program",
"Medium Dollar or Average Risk Program" and "Large Dollar or High Risk
Program", I was wondering if the first two programs could be considered
approximately equivalent to SIL 1 and SIL 2 according to the EN standards,
and the latter equivalent to SIL 4, but I understand that this would be a
generalization.

Kind regards,

Myriam.