[SystemSafety] Language issues, control systems

M Mencke menckem at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 11:51:27 CEST 2015

Dear all,

I was wondering if anybody has any experience with SIL certifications where
the final product should be usable in two different languages. For example,
a centralized control system of any type, SCADA, etc. My question is if
there are any potential hazards associated with an incorrect translation,
what would be the best way to go about mitigating them? Would it be valid,
for example, to use two translators and then cross-check the resulting
translations, analyzing inconsistencies? The translations would be for the
commands available on the HMI.

Really what I am trying to determine is the most common way of dealing with
this issue during SIL certifications, as there may be more than one. That
is, can it be considered as part of the generic product (no, I suspect),
should it be considered as part of the specific application, can it be
considered a SRAC, should it be dealt with during FAT…..? I work in the
railway industry, but I imagine that this could be an issue in any industry
where control systems are used. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Myriam.