[SystemSafety] Language issues, control systems

jean-louis Boulanger jean.louis.boulanger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 15:46:08 CEST 2015

Hello

It's unusable to generate two difference program if it's not for diverse
redundant.
If you want to be able to generate 2 programs in difference language for 2
difference target .... you need to have a double certification.
if you have diverse redundancy for safety .... it's well know and manage
if you just double the generation to address differente target ... you
don't have no new risk but you need to double the safety activities and the
associate certification.

SRAC is for the exported constraints in safety-case where you can identify
some limites of used .... in this case the SRAC can link to the fact that
one generation should be certified and the second not ....
perhaps when the 2 chain are certified you can have specific SRAC for
specific target .... for example if you generate C and C#
perhaps for C# you need to request a certified runtime machine and for C a
qualified compiler ....

> Dear all,
>
> I was wondering if anybody has any experience with SIL certifications
> where the final product should be usable in two different languages. For
> example, a centralized control system of any type, SCADA, etc. My question
> is if there are any potential hazards associated with an incorrect
> translation, what would be the best way to go about mitigating them? Would
> it be valid, for example, to use two translators and then cross-check the
> resulting translations, analyzing inconsistencies? The translations would
> be for the commands available on the HMI.
>
> Really what I am trying to determine is the most common way of dealing
> with this issue during SIL certifications, as there may be more than one.
> That is, can it be considered as part of the generic product (no, I
> suspect), should it be considered as part of the specific application, can
> it be considered a SRAC, should it be dealt with during FAT…..? I work in
> the railway industry, but I imagine that this could be an issue in any
> industry where control systems are used. Thanks in advance.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Myriam.

Mr Jean-louis Boulanger