[SystemSafety] Analyzing far behind the Intended Use

Nick Tudor njt at tudorassoc.com
Thu Dec 31 09:37:14 CET 2015

Hi Drew

The assertion you make re foreseeable misuse is interesting. I was involved
on a couple of aerospace projects where one box was DAL C (head down) and
another which was DAL D ( head up - in fact, helmet mounted), both of which
displayed information that could easily lead to an accident if incorrect,
eg heading. The mitigation against other DAL A head down systems was
accepted by the customer, even though it was well known operationally that
the DAL C/D boxes were often used as sole source. The rationale behind this
agreement was based on a number of factors with cost/ technology
availability being the 2 main ones. Should anything go wrong operationally,
I wonder how this agreement might stack up.

--
Nick Tudor
Tudor Associates Ltd

*77 Barnards Green Road*