[SystemSafety] Statistical Assessment of SW ......

Daniel Kästner kaestner at absint.com
Fri Jan 23 10:28:57 CET 2015

>In particular, if you don't think that the execution of SW can have a
stochastic nature, such as
>Jean-Louis, you are thereby committed to the view that IEC 61508 and its
derivates are inherently
>incoherent. It must be a difficult world to live in ......

I think it's worth making a difference between extrinsic stochastic
behavior and intrinsic stochastic behavior.  If the software reacts
deterministically to some probabilistic input the execution of the
SW-based system can be considered to have a stochastic behavior. But for
one specific input still the reactions of the SW are predictable. This is
very different to having some non-deterministic SW which may react in
different ways to the same input. The interesting question is what the
consequences are for the verification process: Providing statistical
evidence (e.g. by black-box testing) to show SW correctness may not be
able to detect the difference. If you consider timing behavior and just
run some measurements on the SW then you don't know where the variations
in time you'll be observing come from and which SW paths have been exerted
at all. In other words there is a degree of uncertainty in the system
coming from outside the SW, and then there is - or not - another level of
uncertainty from within, and the second one could be avoided. Ideally
there is a formal reasoning demonstrating that for a given set of
scenarios a SW fault can happen or not and I think that's what  Jean-Louis
is pointing out.

AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH      Email: kaestner at AbsInt.com
Science Park 1                         Tel:   +49-681-3836028
66123 Saarbruecken                     Fax:   +49-681-3836020
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Dr.-Ing. Christian Ferdinand
Eingetragen im Handelsregister des Amtsgerichts Saarbruecken, HRB 11234