[SystemSafety] Statistical Assessment of SW ......

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Mon Jan 26 11:23:56 CET 2015

And then there's the issue of glue drift. Yes, you read that right:  G L U E   D R I F T.

This actually happened. A distributed control system consists of a bunker with supervisory computers and 300 remote terminal units (RTUs) performing the control tasks.  Each RTU has a processor chip with a heat sink glued to it. Halfway through the production run the Shanghai factory gets a batch of defective glue. The RTUs are deployed and under normal operating conditions some of the heat sinks start falling off the processor chips and rattling around inside the card cages, causing random failures. Recordkeeping in the factory did not extend to tracking when the defective glue was introduced into the manufacturing process.

Model that, you seekers after determinism!

Les