[SystemSafety] Statistical Assessment of SW With Deliberate Unreliability for a SIL requirement

Heath Raftery heath.raftery at restech.net.au
Mon Jan 26 22:59:37 CET 2015

Apologies this reply is out of order - corporate IT is a disconnected
beast. This is in reply to the original thread subject, regarding a
"Maintenance Mode".

I tend to agree that 61508 is quite clear about software faults being
only systematic, not random.

However when constructing a case based on a proven-in-use argument, then
I would think that the statistical fitness for purpose is all you have
to go on. Whether there is code present that can disable safety
functions - deliberately or accidentally - is moot if the proven in use
argument shows that it does not occur given the intended operating
environment.

If you're treating the software as a black box, you must assume there
are bugs and/or a deliberate hobbling mode. All that matters is that it
is fit for purpose to the surety level requirement.

Heath