[SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

Steve Tockey Steve.Tockey at construx.com
Tue Jun 2 19:35:57 CEST 2015

Martyn,
I can't speak for IEC 61508, but I do agree that in general the weaknesses you point out are at least borderline ethical issues.

-- steve

From: Martyn Thomas <martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk<mailto:martyn at thomas-associates.co.uk>>
Date: Monday, June 1, 2015 1:34 AM
To: "systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>" <systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de<mailto:systemsafety at lists.techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>>
Subject: Re: [SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

Les/Steve

Thanks for this. There's little discussion of professional ethics in any forum that I read.

Do you think there's any hope that we might be able to make a small advance in a focused area, such as IEC 61508? The standard isn't fit for purpose, in that it largely ignores cybersecurity issues and does not provide a sound basis for assessing whether safety-critical systems are safe enough for their proposed application. It's also too long, inconsistent, too expensive, and can't be copied/republished for use in teaching, research or professional debate. I see these weaknesses, in the central international standard for the safety of computer-based systems, as an ethical issue. Do you agree?

Regards

Martyn