[SystemSafety] Another unbelievable failure (file system overflow)

Matthew Squair mattsquair at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 07:09:51 CEST 2015

Les,

The problem is the stopping rule, and the very different approaches that
the "Model WHS Act 2011" and AS/IEC 61508 have to that question. The
discussion below reflects the direct non-transferable responsibilities of
the 'Designer' under the act.

I think we'd agree that there's an infinite amount of 'things we could do'
in terms of assuring safety, the real issue is how do we decide that we've
done enough?

In the 61508 world view one establishes the risk, from that you derive a
safety requirement in the form of a SIL and you then perform the activities
required by the SIL. That is deemed to be enough. Note that we're using the
61508 standard in a risk acceptance framework, and implicit in this is that
we stop when we achieve an acceptable risk.

The WHS act legislates what's called the So Far As Is Reasonably Practical
(SFAIRP) principle for deciding when to stop, and no this is not the same
as the ALARP principle of the HSE. You start by characterising the hazard
and identifying possible controls. You then proceed through each control in
turn and apply it as long as it's reasonable and practical to do so
(there's guidance on both terms in the codes of practice). The rule for not
implementing a specific control is Lord Asquith's time honoured one of
'gross disproportion', e.g a cost benefit analysis. All this is laid out in
the law, regulations and associated codes of practice.

The key point being that if you reject one control you still consider
others until you've worked your way through the set. The act also requires
that you sequence this in the classic hierarchy of control fashion. Thus
the act requires you to consider each control in turn and the stopping rule
is having no more controls that are reasonable and practical to implement.
NOT risk level.

You can see that if we consider a hazard that results from a software
design fault and, having done our risk assessment, we settle on doing say
SIL 2 on the basis of risk then there are clearly practical things we could
still do in the form of SIL3 and 4, else they wouldn't be in the standard.
So under the act, how do we argue that these are unreasonable? Purely on
the basis of risk? Nope, that won't work because the stopping rule is one
of gross disproportion. So how do we show that the next SIL up would be
grossly disproportionate in terms of cost?

If we treat each SIL level set of activities as a package it is I think a
reasonable supposition that the standards organisation wouldn't have
defined it unless they thought that it was practically 'doable'. While that
doing might be expensive there's no evidence to indicate that the cost
differs grossly across SILs, noting that your risk return per level is
defined by the standard.

If you ignore the above questions and fall back to "well that's obviously
the intent of the standards working group", you're resting your position on
an appeal to authority style of argument, and that's a tenuous argument at
best.

If we tease apart each SIL level and look at the set of activities in each
then the situation gets worse. Take for example formal methods, which is
drawn in at the higher SIL levels (from memory). Now there's a body of
professional opinion that actually these techniques are at worst cost
neutral and at best can save you time and money, that's one of the planks
that the 'correctness by construction' manifesto rests upon after all. So
how do you justify NOT carrying out an activity that could safety time,
money AND reduce safety risk? If you don't like formal methods them take
another SIL associated activity that it can be argued is cost/time
positive, again it doesn't have to be a unanimous opinion of the industry
just a significant body of opinion.

Then just for the moment think not about writing up a plan for the project
manager in which you articulate how you'll apply 61508 to your project
based on the functional hazard analysis you've conducted, but rather put
yourself in the witness box trying to defend your use of the standard in
the wake of an accident which has caused serious injury, against a
prosecuting counsel who has the benefit of hindsight and experts who'll be
happy to articulate what you could and should have done. This may sound
dramatic but I use it to illustrate that the (english) law with it's
adversarial approach has an entirely different focus than standards such as
61508 or risk management such as ISO 31000, it should also give you an idea
of the degree of probative value you should be looking for from evidence to
support your position.

So in Australia at least the law has mandated a quite specific methodology,
including the requisite stopping rule, that you must follow in order to be
able to claim that you were duly diligent and therefore not negligent.
Applying a risk acceptance process and thinking that it complies with the
law is unfortunately not defensible and means that 61508 cannot be used in
the way that it was intended (within a risk acceptance framework). And of
course one cannot set aside the law.

As a BTW the risk acceptance and SFAIRP disconnect also affects such varied
risk based things as State government siting codes of practices for major
facilities and dams, fire safety standards, high voltage safety standards
and so on. Similarly there is an impact upon legislated regulators and
their risk management strategies, such as ALARP.

As I've said elsewhere I don't think that any of the above was the intent
of those who framed the legislation, but there it is.

--
*Matthew Squair*
MIEAust CPEng

Mob: +61 488770655