[SystemSafety] Feynman and the Challenger disaster

Andy Ashworth andy at the-ashworths.org
Mon Jun 15 22:31:23 CEST 2015

Another point raised by Feynman in his observations is that 1 in 100000 is equivalent to launching a shuttle every day for nearly 300 years and experiencing a single loss. Many people in safety talk of "10^-9" failure rates without putting this into the context of their own application. All too often, in my recent experience, engineers want a single number they can cite (usually out of context!) that clears them of having to make decisions or take responsibility.

I have colleagues who want certification for everything and others who make arbitrary assignments of SIL and pass these onto our suppliers. The understanding of quantified risk today appears to be poor and I would suggest industry is making products that pose a higher risk than perhaps those of 25 years ago when system safety management was in its infancy. Where did we go wrong?

Andy Ashworth

Sent from Andy's iPad