[SystemSafety] Inside Out

Les Chambers les at chambers.com.au
Wed Jun 24 02:09:50 CEST 2015

Hi

I saw Pixar's latest animated movie, Inside Out last night. It is a
brilliant piece of theatre as well as being heavily allegorical and highly
relevant to the current discussion on the cognitive state of various pilots
and air traffic controllers. My suggestion for a double acknowledgement in
the take off clearance protocol was based in the real need to have the state
of cognition visible instead of implied. That is, made visible by saying, "I
understand you are going to do this and I approve." This would solve PBL's
concern about not understanding people's state of understanding when these
accidents happen.

If you go to see this movie project yourself into what may have been
happening in the mind of the KLM jumbo skipper on that fateful day at
Tenerife airport. Which emotion was driving him?

This is worth the discussion in itself.

Les

Les Chambers
Director